Thursday, April 21, 2011

My Special Friend

I have a very special friend named Shannon.  She, her husband, Doug, and her children, Chandler and Jaycee, are actually more than just friends.  They are family.  We aren't related by blood or by marriage, but rather through love and our spirits. 

I first met this special family in 2002.  Doug was my home teacher, and he faithfully visited me every month to check on my well being.  He always brought a wonderful spiritual message, and quite often homemade cookies.  He kept telling me about his amazing wife and his wonderful children.  The night that I finally met the rest of his family, Chandler and Jaycee decided that I was their Grandma Terry, a title that I was thrilled to be given.  I have always been treated like a very special family member with lots of hugs and words of love and kindness. 

Over the years, I have been impressed with the love and kindness that this wonderful family shows for one another.  I have never heard an unkind word spoken by Doug or Shannon about the other.  I have always been in awe of that as so many men and women constantly complain about their spouses and feel quite comfortable telling the world about all of their faults.  I've also been impressed with the love that Chandler and Jaycee show for one another.  It's very unusual to find siblings that are so considerate of one another.  There is a special spirit in their home that is impossible not to feel.  They work together and play together, and they support one another through the good times and the bad.

In November of 2006, Shannon was diagnosed with cancer.  I will never forget the sinking feeling I had in my stomach as well as my heart when I first got the news.  I was so sad and depressed, but that didn't last long.  Seeing her and talking with her gave me a whole new perspective.  She had such an upbeat, positive attitude, and it was infectious.  You couldn't possibly feel anything less than positive after spending time with her.  She never once considered anything other than beating the adversary, and she succeeded.  She spent almost four years cancer free.  Last September, Shannon found out that the cancer had returned.  Since that time, she has again dug in her heels, rolled up her sleeves, put the gloves back on, and stepped back into the ring, fighting with all of  her might.  She has started chemo again, which has made her extremely ill.  She's lost her hair again, her hands and feet are extremely tender and sensitive, and her skin is flaking off in layers - all side effects of the chemo.  Through all of this, she has remained positive with such strong faith and hope.  She always sounds cheerful, and she always has that gorgeous smile on her face.  She is such an amazing example to everyone around her.  I don't think there is anyone who is not in awe of her deep faith and belief that her Heavenly Father loves her and will help her to get through whatever the future holds.

This is a picture of Chandler, Doug, Shannon, and Jaycee taken in 2004.  Aren't they a beautiful family?


This is a picture of their family that was taken just last month.  Shannon is sporting her purple mohawk, and the rest of the family is joining in the fun with their multicolored wigs.  Even in the midst of all the unpleasantness of chemo, she is still smiling and happy.  Of course, the whole family loves to joke and play around, so this picture was something to be expected.


Shannon is having her next round of chemo tomorrow morning.  I know it will be difficult and she will be very ill for the next couple of weeks because of it.  Yet I know that she will continue to have that beautiful smile on her face and emit a feeling of faith, hope, and optimism to all around her.  What an example and an inspiration!  When I start to feel down about circumstances in my own life, I think of Shannon, and I am uplifted and my faith is again renewed.  I will be thinking of Shannon tomorrow and praying for her.  If you are so inclined, I hope you will, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment